You might be from a small Southern town if…
- You’ve ever been late to school because you were feeding the cows, mucking the stalls, or driving the tractor.
- You worked all during high school…not because your parents wanted to teach you the value of money but because you knew what it was like not to have any.
- Your high school has a training center for early learning and development…which doubles as a day care center for students with kids.
- There are two major religions…Christianity and football.
- Working at Wal-Mart, Publix, or Lowe’s means you have a “good job.” Having a management position anywhere means you “made it.” Owning your own business makes you hometown royalty.
- You’ve always dreamed of moving to the big city, which is actually just the next town over.
- Flip flops, shorts, and tank tops are acceptable attire for every occasion, but “getting dressed up” usually involves your best jeans and cammo (even at weddings and funerals).
- Every event involves food, usually prepared and eaten outside or in a barn or garage. Paper plates and Solo cups are a must, and what you call “Southern China.”
- Going on a date usually involves dinner at Applebee’s and hanging out in the Wal-Mart parking lot. (If you’re out of high school, it might include a stroll through Lowe’s.)
- “Goin’ muddin’” is an acceptable past-time for family get-togethers or dates. The dirtier the truck on Monday morning, the more fun you had on Saturday evening.
Yes, I’m from a small Southern town – and proud of it!