As I recently announced, I’m currently working on a book called Skilletheads (Red Lightning Books, 2022), which will be the follow-up to Modern Cast Iron. This new book will dive deep into the world of collecting and restoring cast iron, and for that information I’m interviewing various cast iron pros, like foodie Cast Iron Steve.
In the video below, Steve shares why he loves cooking with cast iron, how he cooks with it indoors as well as outdoors, and how he seasons his pans and Dutch ovens. You’ll also hear him describe The Mountain Man Breakfast, which he makes every time he goes camping. For your convenience, I’ve included a printable version of that recipe below with an adaptation for home cooking.
For more cooking inspiration, be sure to connect with Cast Iron Steve through his YouTube Channel, Instagram, or Facebook. And be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don’t miss any of these Skillethead interviews!
Mountain Man Breakfast (By Cast Iron Steve)
- Large Dutch Oven
- Sausage or bacon strips
- 1 Onion, diced
- Garlic, diced
- Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4-5 Eggs
- ¾ cup Cheddar cheese or whatever cheese you prefer
- Tortillas optional
- Heat a Dutch oven over coals.
- Add sausage or bacon and cook a couple minutes.
- Add diced onion, garlic, and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven until the potatoes are cook thoroughly (at least 30 minutes).
- Crack a few eggs on top of the potatoes. Add cheese on top and let it cook, uncovered, until done.
- Enjoy this hearty breakfast by the forkful or serve it on tortillas.
See Related Posts: